Frequently Asked Questions - Overview
You can use Payment Center to pay any company or person with a U.S. address. Payment Center offers the flexibility and convenience of sending money from one place.
- You can pay anybody in the United States or territories that you can pay using cash, check, or debit.
- We send the money electronically whenever possible. If the company or person can't accept electronic payments, we print and mail a check on your behalf.
- In Payment Center, tell us who to pay, the payment amount, and the delivery date. The money stays in your account until it’s time for us to deliver the payment.
- When you add a company or person to pay, we save the contact info to make future payments even quicker and easier.
- We maintain relationships with thousands of companies, and manage their contact info for you.
- Payments made through Payment Center are guaranteed.
We send payments electronically whenever possible. We send electronic payments to thousands of companies across the U.S. every day.
If the company or person cannot receive electronic payments, we print a check and mail it to the address you provide. The check contains the following info:
- Your name and address
- The company or person's name and your account number with them, if available
- The payment amount
- The delivery date
If you added a memo to your payment, the info is printed on the memo line of the check.
Yes, you can change a payment that has not started processing.
If the payment is sent electronically, the money is withdrawn from your account one business day after processing begins. If the company or person cannot receive electronic payments, we print a check and mail it to the address you provide.
For some checks, the money is withdrawn one business day after processing begins. For others, the money is withdrawn when the company or person deposits or cashes the check.
You can see the status of your payments in Activity. Payments start in a Pending status until processing begins.
You receive electronic bills (eBill) in Payment Center of Bill Pay. When an eBill is due, it appears as soon as you select the company that sent it. You can simply click a link to enter the amount due and due date from the bill.
If the company or person you're paying can receive electronic payments, the money is typically delivered in one to three business days. If the company or person you're paying cannot receive payments electronically, we mail them a paper check. This process typically takes three to five business days.
If the company or person you want to pay does not receive electronic payments, we print a check and mail it for you. This process typically takes three to five business days.
With the Payments Guarantee, you can be assured that your electronic payments are safe and reliable. When your payments are processed through Bill Pay, you are protected in the unlikely event of unauthorized transactions or processing delays.
The Payments Guarantee applies when all the payment and contact info provided is accurate.