Debit Card Facts
These facts about using your debit card can help you decide between a PIN based transaction or "Credit" when you're at the check out.
You have a choice on how you want to pay for the things you buy and use most. These facts about using your debit card can help you decide which option is best for you:
PIN-based debit card transaction facts:
- A PIN (Personal Identification Number) is used to complete transaction (no signature required).
- Money comes out of your checking account immediately.
- The transaction is just like using cash.
- Some merchants offer the option to get cash back with your purchase.
- You can use your card at merchants that only allow PIN-based "DEBIT" transactions such as warehouse stores.
- Transactions are not covered by VISA's Zero Liability* coverage for unauthorized use.
Signature-based debit card transaction facts:
- Signature required. Select "CREDIT" when processing transaction.
- Sign for your purchases and receive protection against fraud.
- Cash back option not available.
- Transactions covered by VISA's Zero Liability* coverage for unauthorized use. Any funds taken from your account, due to fraudulent use, will be returned to you.
Online debit card transaction facts:
Using your Debit Card online for purchases as "CREDIT" is covered by VISA's Zero Liability* coverage for unauthorized use. Any funds taken from your account due to fraudulent use will be returned to you.
Don't have a PIN (Personal Identification Number)?
- Contact the Credit Union at 303-832-4816 or 1-800-444-4816 to request a PIN. You'll receive it in the mail within 3-5 business days.
- Or stop by one of our convenient locations and a Member Representative can re-PIN your debit card.
*VISA's Zero Liability policy covers U.S.-issued cards only and does not apply to ATM transactions, PIN transactions not processed by VISA, or certain commercial card transactions. Cardholder must notify card issuer promptly of any unauthorized use. Consult issuer for additional details or visit www.visa.com/security.